European Federation of Chemical Engineering
As part of the Working Party on Education under the European Federation of Chemical Engineering (EFCE) our department contributes to a website which has the purpose of creating a link between everybody who is interested in education in chemical engineering in Europe or who wants to get latest information on the topic. The Working Party on Education website offers a lot of useful information as well as links to education websites of all countries participating in the Working Party - including this page you are reading now, on which you will find information about chemical engineering education in Denmark.
More chemical engineers for the world
Research-based education is at the heart in chemical engineering education in Denmark. Here are the universities that offer chemical engineering programmes in Denmark:
- Technical University of Denmark (BEng, BSc, MSc)
- University of Southern Denmark (BEng, BSc, MSc)
- Aarhus University School of Engineering (BEng, BSc, MSc)
- Aarhus University (BSc, MSc,)
- Aalborg University (BEng, BSc, MSc)
- University College Absalon (BEng)
Technical University of Denmark (DTU)
The history of DTU began in 1829 with the foundation of the College of Advanced Technology, which was at first attached to the University of Copenhagen, on the initiative of the world-renowned scientist and Professor of Physics Hans Christian Ørsted. Ørsted also served as its Principal until his death in 1851. The period since its foundation has been a time of rapid development in the engineering sciences, accelerating in each generation - a trend which has been reflected in its expanding need for accommodation. The College of Advanced Technology occupied a building in Studiestræde in the centre of Copenhagen until 1889. In 1889, new premises were acquired in Sølvgade adjoining the Botanical Gardens. Extensive facilities were added in the adjacent street Øster Voldgade in the years after 1930, and in the years after 1959 the need for more space was so pressing that the decision was taken to move the establishment to Lundtoftesletten, a large open area in the north Copenhagen suburb of Lyngby. The move took place during the period 1962-1974.
The name "Danmarks tekniske Højskole", usually translated as "the Technical University of Denmark", began to be used officially in 1933, and on April 1 1994 the Danish name was changed to include the word Universitet, thus giving rise to the acronym DTU by which the University is commonly known today. In Denmark in the mid-1950s there was a pronounced shortage of technically trained personnel at all levels. The situation with regard to M.Sc. level education in engineering was that far too few graduates were being produced, whilst there were large numbers of suitable applicants who could not gain admission to the University because of lack of places. The Engineering Academy of Denmark was created in 1957, partly to provide an alternative education in engineering (B.Sc.Ch.E.) that would be both shorter (taking 3½ years) and more practically oriented than the M.Sc. degree courses. The Academy had its own premises in Copenhagen. During 1968-1972, the Academy also relocated to the Lundtoftesletten campus. In the early 1990s the Academy became part of DTU. On January 1, 2002, DTU became a self-governing institution.
Odense University College of Engineering
Odense University College of Engineering offers seven programmes (3½ years each) leading to an engineering degree: Chemical (B.Sc.Ch.E.), Biochemical and Environmental Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering, Information and Communication Technology, Integrated Design, Manufacturing and Management and Mechanical Engineering. Work in close cooperation with the University of Southern Denmark also provides programmes (5 years each) leading to a Master of Science degree in Engineering (M.Sc.) in Chemical, Physics and Technology, Environmental Engineering and Computer Systems Engineering.
Odense University College of Engineering was founded in 1905 as the first of its kind in Denmark. Since then, it has developed into a fully comprehensive and advanced university of applied sciences offering B.Sc.Ch.E. and M.Sc. degrees in engineering. The chemical engineering education activity is closely linked with the Department of Chemistry at the University of Southern Denmark. The Department of Chemistry and Odense University are the same age. The first professor of chemistry, dr. Christian Knakkergaard Møller († 2003), was appointed on April 1, 1966, as were 11 other professors. They were to receive the first students of the new university at semester start, September 1, 1966. The entire university, and thereby Department of Chemistry, was situated at The Engineering College of Odense.
In August 1973 the department moved, as one of the first departments, to the permanent building at Campus. For many years, about one third of the "natural" area of Department of Chemistry was inhabited by The Physics Department until they were given their own section. Gradually, the need for room increased, and in August 1996 a new building section was opened and the departmental area thereby considerably extended. In 1986 the department entered into a collaboration with The Engineering College of Odense (IOT) on the education as chemical engineer. The basic and theoretical chemistry courses are taught at the University of Southern Denmark by the departmental staff. The engineering courses are taught at The Engineering College and the education is completed here too.
1990 was the year when a two-year M.Sc. degree in chemistry specially for chemical engineers from The Engineering College was established, and in 1996 an education in technical environmental chemistry based on the education as civil engineer from The Engineering College was approved. In 1998 they became part of an M.Sc. of Chemical Engineering and Environmental Technology, respectively.
Aalborg University (AAU)
Aalborg University (AAU) was inaugurated in 1974 as the fifth Danish university. In 1995 the Engineering College of Esbjerg became part of Aalborg University. A unique study form has proved to be an essential innovation in higher education and is highly recognized by leading international industry. From day one until their graduation, students are accustomed to working in projects in groups and they are thus closely aligned to a problem-solving approach and have strong qualities in the fields of problem-solving, co-operation and project work. Aalborg University has more than 13000 matriculated students, and the annual budget is in excess of DKK 1.3 billion.
University College of Aarhus (IHA)
Ingeniørhøjskolen i Århus (IHA) or the University College of Aarhus has approximately 1400 students and 150 academic, technical and administrative staff. The focus areas are education of engineers focusing on professional and practical skills and development of new technology in partnership with industry.
On the website of the Danish Agency for International Education you can read about the Danish educational system.